Monday, December 5, 2022

Moving Experience

I’ve moved my share of furniture over the years: most of it belonging to other people. Not professionally: just helping out. We all receive calls for help of this kind from friends and family, but simply because I always have owned a pickup truck I probably have gotten the call more than most. One of the more memorable lifts was for a friend back in the 90s who moved from NJ to an apartment in lower Manhattan. Getting the absurdly heavy fold-out sofa-bed up the stairs (it wouldn’t fit in the small elevator) was the highlight. I was on the lower end and again can feel the strain in my thigh muscles as I think back on it. “Is this sofa framed with plutonium?” I asked. “I don’t know. Maybe,” he answered. Somehow we got it up to the fourth floor.

My Ford and I c.1984

My current Chevy

One of the few advantages to turning 70 (see last post) is that folks hesitate (not completely refrain, but hesitate) to ask for this assistance. “We’d better not give the old guy a heart attack,” they think. “There might be a liability issue.” Just last month a friend borrowed my truck but didn’t ask for my help loading it. I nonetheless lent a hand unloading it at the final destination, but no more than that. In truth I could have done more, but I saw no reason to say so. Fortunately, at 70 when you say “I’m tired,” people take you seriously whether it is true or not.
 
The word “furniture” comes from French “fourniture,” meaning “equipment.” We regard “equipment” as stuff other than real estate, which by definition is anything “attached to or under the soil”; equipment is the stuff on or in the real estate. It is therefore movable, at least in principle. In French the word for “furniture” is not “fourniture” but “meuble,” which derives from Latin “mobilis,” which actually means “movable.” (The word for “furniture” in Latin on the other hand is “supellex,” but there is no need to chase derivations any further.) In any case, it seems likely that friends have been helping friends move furniture far enough back into history for mobility to have become part of the very definition.
 
The very earliest furnishings might not have been movable – for which reason I balk at calling them furniture. At the Neolithic site Skara Brae in Scotland, for example, in excavated private houses dating to some 2500 BCE there are Flintstone-like stone dressers, shelves, and beds. They are really built-ins (I sure as heck wouldn’t try to move them) and so part of the real estate. But more portable furnishings turn up very early in ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia, and China. They include nearly all the basic types of furniture still in use today: chairs (in a broad sense including sofas and benches), beds, dressers, chests, shelves, tables, and cabinets. No doubt a friend with an ass (I refer to the equine) was commonly called upon to help move them. Lightweight folding chairs, which can be carried easily, date back thousands of years. There are surviving examples of them from Egyptian tombs and depictions of them from both Assyria and ancient China. Styles and quality of furniture varied greatly from place to place and time to time but the fundamental forms and functions have remained the same.

Built-in furnishings at Skara Brae

Furniture (leaving aside the special case of antiques) is very expensive to buy new, but often resells for only a few cents on the dollar (when buyers can be found at all) even if it is barely used. For this reason some people frequent estate sales and yard sales as the sole sources of furnishings for their houses and apartments. It is a cost-effective practice, though of course the buyers need a friend with a truck to move the stuff from the site. From now on, though, if I happen again to be that friend, I’ll let them do the loading and unloading themselves. I’m tired.
 
 
Madeline Kahn – I'm Tired (from Mel Brooks’ Blazing Saddles)


No comments:

Post a Comment