Sunday, March 11, 2018

Not a Circuit Was Stirring, Not Even a Watt


There are people who deliberately go to some woodsy retreat with no electricity, no central heat, no running water, no phones, and no internet. They call it a vacation. I have had quite enough vacation.

The felled trees on my own property
missed the house
On Friday March 2 there was a moderate snowfall in NJ accompanied by strong winds. Power went out at my house at 1:52 PM. I can pinpoint that thanks to an old-style electric clock that is older than I am; except for power outages and two moves it has been running continuously since 1949 and still keeps excellent time. I didn’t think much about the outage until the hours stretched into days. The windstorm (which in truth didn’t seem all that severe) had taken down trees all over the northern part of the state, closing roads and severing power lines. On Wednesday the 7th when repair crews were making headway, a heavy snow took down more trees and cut power to thousands more customers. I don’t seem to have been in a high priority area for allocation of repair crews in the days that followed. The lights clicked on about an hour ago.
Second snow: Wednesday the 7th


I’m on a well so there was no running water during this period; I melted snow on the backyard grill to replenish toilet tanks. Given temperatures that ranged from slightly below freezing at night to slightly above freezing in the daytime there was a real risk to the pipes. I drained them when it became clear that the outage would continue more than a couple days, but, despite invitations from friends and family, I chose to stay in my cold dark house every night in case I had taken the precaution too late; once power and water pressure were restored, even in the middle of the night, I wanted to be able immediately to shut off any water lines that had burst lest water do much damage to walls, floors, and the basement ceiling. (So far, so good.) When at home in the daytime (I did go out for lunch and to visit with friends) there was plenty of work for my chain saw, sledge hammer, and wedges; my fireplace was voracious, so keeping up with it by cutting and splitting firewood was a challenge. As for nighttime, I’ve always prided myself on enough of a Zen disposition to enjoy simply being without doing anything in particular. I think I’ve used up my supply of Zen. The novelty of just watching the light from the fireplace flicker on the ceiling wore off a few days into the outage. Nonetheless, overall, it is surprising how little I missed TV, radio, and the internet: they were not unmissed, to be sure, but little missed. I missed light more: reading by candlelight proved impractical. I missed showers even more; so, no doubt, did those who interacted with me. The mail still arrived during the outage, and one of the missives was a bill from JCP&L. “You first,” I muttered.


By the way, I have nothing but respect for the linemen who go out in the worst possible weather and conditions to effect repairs. My grumbles are for management who had the task of judging how much outside help was needed.

It’s hard to pretend that, in an otherwise comfortable home, a week without electricity is a hardship in any but first world terms – though it can be argued that a first world country ought to have a more resilient electrical grid. Nonetheless, it’s enough to make me regard Henry David Thoreau as an ass. It’s also enough to make one remember that a vacation in an isolated woodsy retreat is the set-up to half the horror movies ever made.

Also, the day grows ever closer when I give up on this northern clime of chilly winds for someplace warm in the winter.
   

The Seekers – Chilly Winds


5 comments:

  1. I figured that was what happened to you up there. I have a pair of those insulated overall that are a bit too small for me, but I can still wiggle in them. I've thought about getting a generator for such things, however, I don't know much about them. Still you can never predict how things will go. For all I know a tree could fall on that side of the house and take out the generator. Still it's scary and I hate that part about living here. A storm came thru here Sunday morning, but more to the east, and took down trees with straight line winds and turned over trees and killed a few people by hitting their homes. I guess you can always be happy the trees missed the house.

    Quite honestly I've not figured it out yet. However, if a tree does hit my house, hopefully not, but if so, I think I'm going to move. In West Texas I never worried about that. Tornadoes a small bit, but rarely. There's boredom, but I can deal with that easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much of the electrical infrastructure hereabouts is very old: an eventual downside to having developed early. All streets built in the last 50 years in this area have underground utilities, but most of the road network -- not the side streets but the well-traveled roads and highways -- are much older than that and have electric lines strung up above them where any tree can take them down. I don't see that changing on any time scale relevant to me.

      Most of the time I like living in my 5 acre patch of woods, but when the trees start to sway I reconsider the options. It's also cold up here too much of the time. Do you have a favorite town in West Texas?

      Delete
  2. Hmmm, never thought of that one. I've not lived in San Angelo, but I've heard it's nice, and has nice scenery with a river that runs through it. It also has trees. I don't care that much for Lubbock--too flat among a few other things, sand storms, political climate. Midland & Odessa suffer the same thing, but friendly people generally speaking though I doubt I'd move back there--too far from anywhere else. Abilene is just too sedate, mostly farmers, next to nothing every going on. Watch the crops grow. These are of course my biased generalities. So of that bunch probably San Angelo, it's a bit greener too.

    I still think one of the Dallas suburbs might be better though they get some bad weather up that way: Plano has gotten good reviews, McKinney is pretty and growing. I don't know that I'd want to settle either of those places either, but nice visiting. I still wonder about Colorado at times: Ft. Collins although I don't particularly like the way the homes are built or modeled up there. Actually I like it where I live now, Tyler, except the tree situation. I like living in the country without many neighbors. I guess I can always gradually get rid of some trees (which may be what I'll have to do looking at my options and wherever you live you always have to refurbish or make-do).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know. I like country, but I like being near a major metropolis, too. I'm thinking outside New Orleans maybe.

      Delete
  3. Does the flooding there bother you or the crime rate, which seems high? I have a friend in Lafayette, LA and seems to like it.

    ReplyDelete