Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Soloing the Shore

The Jersey Shore from Asbury Park to Wildwood long has attracted pretty good music despite (or perhaps because of) the proximity of NYC. In my younger days I occasionally drove there to clubs, notably to The Stone Pony in Asbury Park. In recent years, though, I’ve neglected the Shore in favor of closer venues or NYC, but my favorite surf band unexpectedly turned up on the schedule of The Wonder Bar, the second most famous club in Asbury Park, so I hopped in my Chevy and aimed southeast.

It doesn’t take much to be my favorite surf band since it typically isn’t my preferred style of music. I’ve been on a surf board no more than twice in my life. However, Messer Chups is actually good at it, and the group intermingles horror themes with ironic humor. This being Halloween month, I didn’t want to miss them live. Messer Chups is from St. Petersburg, Russia – not normally regarded as a surfing capital. The band is on tour to promote the new album Taste the Blood of Guitaracula.

The drive down reminded me why I generally skip Shore venues these days. Rush hour(s) traffic was inescapable given the timing. I fully understand why anyone whose only experience of NJ has been crawling along the Garden State Parkway while trying to cross three lanes of snarled traffic so as not to miss an exit has a negative opinion of the state. Judging NJ by this is a bit like judging Los Angeles by rush hour on the 405: not entirely unfair, but mostly. From my home address, it is actually easier and quicker to get in and out of Manhattan than Asbury Park. I sympathize with the poor souls who commute along the route every day for work.

The Jersey Shore is not really like…well… Jersey Shore or movies like Don Jon. But as with the highway stereotypes there is a kernel of truth under the pile of rubbish. In denim shirt and jeans and a corduroy jacket I was overdressed, excepting a few of the younger women in their dancing dresses. Strangely, I was not outside the age demographic in The Wonder Bar. There was no dominant demographic. There was the full range of barely legal to white-bearded veteran fans of the original surf bands such as The Ventures or Dick Dale. There were college students, bikers, those odd middle-aged men in berets, and old hippies reeking of pot. I could not have stood out by any method short of wearing a beanie with a propeller. I wear one of those only on special occasions.

Anyway, after the opening band The Black Flamingos were done – being a hometown group they had their own fans present – Messer Chups stepped up and put on their usual good show. It was worth the drive, but I probably won’t be making it again any time soon. At least the trip back was largely traffic free except for the bear waiting for me in my driveway. I opened the car window and turned up the volume on the Messer Chups cd. He moseyed out of the way: not a surf rock fan, I guess.


Messer Chups – Magneto

2 comments:

  1. It's been a pretty good while since I've seen some live music. Most of the acts around here are either cover bands, or country oriented (no interest). The better acts do play Dallas, but I haven't seen anyone playing over there aside from Yes, some months back, that I'd care to see.

    Messer Chups reminds me of The Cramps to some degree. They didn't play surf music per se, but included some of that in their punk rockabilly mixture along with some horror tropes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Cramps did have a sound in a similar enough vein that (if the band were still around) a double bill with Messer Chups would make sense.

      Distance is always a factor in those decisions – not just absolute miles but time, and my willingness to expend time is lower than it was when I was young. Because of traffic the trip to Asbury Park was 2.5 hours; it was 1.5 hours back. I usually go alone to venues like The Wonder Bar just so I don’t put a guest through a boring car trip. In NYC (1.5 hours if traffic isn’t killer) I usually go with a friend, though. I’m guessing that’s a comparable time allowance for you to Dallas, but, as you say, that helps only if someone is playing whom you want to see.

      Delete